Random header image... Refresh for more!

Most Hated Pose

Last night, I came home to this:

I always do the grocery shopping, but due to time constraints and yoga requirements, Ryan had to do it last night.*

* We grocery shop daily. Don’t ask.

Whilst in the produce aisle, he was inspired by these hot red peppers to make delicious caper poppers and hot pepper-flavoured olive oil.

They were very impressive.

However, I have one thing to say in response to this display of culinary skill: my boyfriend claims to make “the best crème brûlée,” but has never once made it for me. And it’s my favourite dessert. I want to know who is eating this hypothetical and amazing crème brûlée. If, in fact, he even actually knows how to make it.

The Pose I Really, Really Dislike

As I mentioned, I went to yoga last night. At the beginning of class, the instructor asked us what we wanted to work on. A few people mentioned hips. All was well with the world, I’ll happily take pigeon any time.

Then she asked: “What do we NOT want to work on?”

I sensed a golden opportunity.

And I blurted out “Chair Pose.”

Chair pose, or Utkatasana, is basically a squat with your knees close together. And it’s the pose I would vote “least likely to be included in any vinyasa I would ever design.”

I think maybe I actually hate it. I mean, I don’t like to throw around big words like that, but I think I do. I mean, it hasn’t made me cry the way Crow has, but whenever I am in Chair, all I want to do is not be in Chair.

This pose seriously harshes my mellow.

It’s highly irrational: I don’t even feel that way about Thunderbolt (which is basically Chair with your heels off the ground, and should theoretically be even more unpleasant but is actually kind of fun).

The instructor told us a story, then, about Inverted Triangle: how she hated it for years, and then had to spend 20 minutes in it during Teacher Training. She said that at some point during those 20 minutes she understood what the pose was trying to tell her. She apologized to the pose. And she never hated it again.*

* And she had us do both Inverted Triangle and Chair last night. Lesson: Don’t answer questions in yoga. Just don’t.

Well, maybe Utkatasana wants to teach me something too. So I think tomorrow morning, I will try to spend 10 minutes with it. We’ll see if it kicks my butt for writing this post.

See you guys on Monday, if I survive.

Do you have a most-hated pose (or workout)? Or any good crème brûlée recipes for that matter? (I may have to take the situation into my own hands).

Related posts:

1. Seafood Feast, Continued
  2. Three Lessons from my Weekend
  3. Pumpkin Pie with Enlightenment Spice

18 comments

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday { 12.17.10 at 9:29 am }

Chair isn’t my most hated pose, but I definitely don’t like it. I have really tight muscles near my shins (what are those muscles called anyway?) which make it really hard for me to squat downwith my legs together like that. My chair basically looks like me standing with a bit of a bend in my knees.

I actually find thunderbolt easier too because once I lift my heels I’m able to squat deeper.

My back was killing me in last night’s yoga class and I had no idea why. All poses kinda sucked last night.

2 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations { 12.17.10 at 10:20 am }

I love yoga but hate doing the basic cat sequence. It makes my shin bones hurt.

I love all the warrior poses… they make me feel confident and capable of tackling anything in my life.

I really want to do Bikram yoga, but the closest studio is over two hours from where I live.

3 Becca { 12.17.10 at 11:35 am }

I think my most hated workout is the stepmill… but over time I leanred that while it sucked big time, it really did make a difference in my body!

4 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair { 12.17.10 at 11:46 am }

Oooh I love chair pose - it makes my legs feel so strong!!

5 Kath { 12.17.10 at 1:45 pm }

Oh, I also go grocery shopping almost every day. (I like to have fresh food, and I always forget something. )

My most-hated workout was always running. I have a love-hate relationship with running. Love because I’d love to be able to, hat because I hate you bad I am. Back in school, running always ruined my overall sports grade. You know, I’m not totally unathletic, but I’m VERY BAD at running. I always got 0 (of 15) points (it’s very shameful, but here and now I have to admit that I NEVER managed to get ONE DAMN SINGLE point. Sheesh.) This means I never ran the 2 km distance in less than 12 minutes. (Lalala. Blush.) I was so short of breath or whatever that I used to faint after almost every run. And then I madefun one day and just ran half of the distance and walked the other half in a quick pace (instead of trying to keep up running for the whole distance), and that was the best time I ever got. I’m a walker, not a runner.

Alina Reply:

Wow, not a single point? That’s harsh! I always hated running in gym class too. It’s not like couch to 5K where they ease you into it, they expect you to run right away. What’s with that?

Anyway, 2K in 12 minutes sounds good to me. Although I am so on-and-off with running - just as I start getting faster, I switch to some other exercise.

Kath Reply:

We actually trained during the summer for the 2K. We had to run it in the beginning (without traing) and in the end of the summer. I WAS WORSE IN THE END, DESPITE I HAD TRAINED FOR THAT DAMN RUN FOR SEVERAL WEEKS! (?!?!?!?!?!?)

I also had to do one 5K (without training), and although my memory of that isn’t too good, I’m pretty sure I almost died.

6 Kristen { 12.17.10 at 4:01 pm }

I am with you on the fact that I am not a big fan of chair pose!
I would have to agree with you on pigeon though!!! I just LOVE that pose!

7 Amy at TheSceneFromMe { 12.17.10 at 6:50 pm }

That pose makes me burn!

I love creme brulee, its oh so yummy in my tummy!

8 Ameena { 12.18.10 at 1:50 pm }

I am so with you on chair pose - I detest it. I actually start feeling kind of nauseous while I am doing it. I realize that is a very bizarre statement.

Your bf can cook? My husband cooked for me once. And hasn’t in the remaining 10 years we’ve been together.

Alina Reply:

I don’t think that’s bizarre at all! I get nauseous during backbends sometimes (but never wheel, oddly).

Yes, the bf sucked me in with the cooking. He owns his very own collection of Jamie Oliver cookbooks too!

9 charlotte { 12.19.10 at 2:06 am }

1 - Those peppers look AMAZING!
2- I feel your (burning quad-shaking pain) with chair pose. I don’t mind regular chair so much but when we twist it or bind it I really feel like I can’t breathe.

10 Joslyn @ missfitbliss { 12.19.10 at 10:56 am }

I love this post! My most-hated poses change. This past summer, I couldn’t stand the spine strengthening series. Now it’s inversions. So over them.

Alina Reply:

You know, I’ve been having a love-hate thing with inversions lately too. Except I have these odd impulses sometimes to get into them, at the most random times.

11 sarah { 12.21.10 at 5:27 pm }

Frog pose! Or whatever that one is where you have to squat with your feet underneath you. Pure, unadulterated agony.

Alina Reply:

That one is famously uncomfortable!

12 S @ extremebalance.net/blog { 12.22.10 at 7:03 pm }

Downward dog! I don’t like it when the blood rushes into my head, and it makes my wrist hurt, too!!

And I’d shop every day, too, if I had the time. When I retire in 6 months… I just might.

Alina Reply:

I used to *hate* downward dog, but now it’s on my Love list. Is that a joke about retiring in 6 months?