Random header image... Refresh for more!

Ten Questions

Happy Friday, everyone!

So, a couple of days ago I was tagged by the lovely S at Extreme Balance to answer ten questions.

Here are my answers:

1. If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?

I would be this specific animal.

My cat Frank has a great life.

His jobs include napping, cuddling and being his fluffy self. In return, he gets food and board, love, and pretty much anything else he wants. Sometimes I am remiss in cleaning his litter box in the morning, but I think this is the one black spot in an otherwise perfect existence.

Also, Frankie is very emotionally resilient – he lost his penis in a highly unfortunate urinary blockage a couple of years ago, and he bounced right back to his happy self.

He is also an optimist – he naps in high-traffic areas on the stairs, secure in the certainty that no one will step on him. Basically, I think Frank has all the ingredients for happiness in his personality, and an enviable lifestyle on top of that, so I would be him.

2. Is it better to have loved and lost, or never to have loved at all?

I vaguely remember in Daniel Gilbert’s “Stumbling on Happiness” he makes the point that people who have never smoked a cigar are better off than people who have had to give up smoking cigars. If you don’t know what you are missing, not having it in your life can’t affect your happiness.

It is partly on the strength of this theory that I have never tried cocaine.

So in a way, they are probably equal.

However, I’ll have to go for loved and lost.

3. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Ice cream.*

*I didn’t know how to answer this question, so I answered the question “What are you thinking about right now?” instead. This is also a great trick I use for job interview success!

4. Do you live the life you thought you would when you were little?

Not really.

I briefly imagined myself living in a beach house in California (my brother baby sat me a lot, which meant watching quite a few Hollywood movies during my formative years). Instead, my face got punched by ice pellets this morning.

I also remember wanting to do something meaningful with my life that might make the world a slightly happier place. I think it’s a little early to give up on that.

5. What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?

Hyperbole and a Half! I think Allie Brosh is the funniest person on the internet. I hope she doesn’t read this and get driven to the drink!

6. Tea or coffee?

Coffee in the mornings, tea in the afternoons. If I had to never have one again, I could say good-bye to the tea (even though I drink up to 10 cups a day). I need my coffee before work!

7. What are you most afraid of?

Cockroaches.

8. What is the first thing you think about in the morning?

How many more times I can press the snooze button before I am definitely late for work.

Then, what I will write about on my blog (I write over a leisurely breakfast, which invariably makes me late for work.* In my defense, I was equally late for work before the blog, because I was reading blogs/news while drinking my multiple coffees. This way, at least I am creating something).

* I am very lucky that my job has flex time. Still, it’s awkward that everyone else in my group comes in at 8, and I would rather not say what time I get in..

9. Best film of all time?

I Heart Huckabees.

10. If you had 1 meal left in this world, what would you eat?

My late Grandmother’s crepes. With her homemade jam. With these amazing cookies my aunt makes for dessert. Wait, is my tendency toward carbaddiction genetic?

11. OK, OK, 3 was a ruse… so how about: black or white?

White. It’s more cheerful. Plus, I have a white fluffy cat, who advertises his presence on all my black clothes. Let’s be practical here.

Also, I am getting in the mood for snow. I can’t believe I just almost said that.

Thanks for the questions, S! That woodchuck life question really made me think!

How about all of you? Coffee or Tea? And are you living the life you thought you would when you were little?

Related posts:

1. Happy Thanksgiving
  2. Why I Stopped Counting Calories
  3. 3 Simple Steps to Surviving the Holidays

14 comments

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun { 11.26.10 at 4:34 pm }

Coffee! And I am certainly NOT living the life I thought. Well, maybe when I was little like under 10. I think I wanted to be a mom then. After that, I thought NO kids.

2 Ameena { 11.26.10 at 6:21 pm }

I hate cockroaches!!

Tea for me for sure…and I didn’t think I’d ever have kids. And here I am with a 5-year-old?

3 Kath { 11.26.10 at 9:06 pm }

I’ve immediately fallen in love with Frank the cat! And I also love your woodchuck answer! (Have you ever tried that in a job interview, btw? )

Alina Reply:

Thank you so much for your comment about Frank! I feel like he and I both share the characteristic that our personality doesn’t come through in our photos. But trust me, he is very lovable

I think I sort of do that in interviews - when my mind is drawing a blank on a question, I just talk about some related topic. Sometimes it works out really well! As much as I would love to, I have never said something totally unrelated, like Ice Cream.

4 S @ extremebalance.net/blog { 11.27.10 at 2:04 am }

Yay! Good show, Alina! Have you tried Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt? I used to *love* that something serious… cherries + chocolate = the world is a good place to be. Interesting call on the white—I’m a hard-core black girl, myself, so I like seeing the other side of it. Thanks for playing!

Alina Reply:

Thanks, S! I have never tried the frogurt version. I am slightly suspicious of frozen yogurt … isn’t it just like ice cream, but without the fat? I definitely agree on cherries + chocolate!

I found seeing your side of the black vs. white debate really interesting as well. It’s so different from my perspective.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog Reply:

Maybe on the fro-yo, I just don’t like the way that full-fat ice cream feels in my mouth… my problem with commercial frozen yogurt is that they tend to pile on the sugar to “make up” for the lack of fat—when really, when I want frozen yogurt it’s because I want the tartness and yogurt-y goodness! I really need an attachment for my KitchenAid: homemade matcha frozen yogurt is like a dream!

5 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations { 11.27.10 at 10:14 pm }

Great answers. It’s so fun to read more about bloggers.

6 Kris | iheartwellness.com { 11.29.10 at 12:11 am }

I love reading these questions! You are too cute

I hate cockroaches as well…eeeekkkkk and spiders, and snakes!

Coffee

Growing up I was like you thought I would be in a beach house in SoCal {I still will be….} but now I realized I actually know what I want in life now. When I was younger I had no idea! I am making my path to my greatness

Keep that dream alive girl, you go help and empower people!

xxoo

Alina Reply:

Thanks, Kris! And I haven’t 100% given up on the beach house either (whether or not it’s in SoCal).

7 Joslyn @ missfitbliss { 11.29.10 at 10:07 am }

I LOVE your cat’s name. Classic and fitting:) That last photo is very cool. I don’t do hot drinks often, but if I do, it’s tea. Surprisingly, I am actually doing what I thought I would as a kid!

Alina Reply:

Thanks Joslyn! I really enjoy human names for animals. It’s awesome that you are doing what you thought you would. You seem to have a lot of passion in your life!

8 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear { 12.01.10 at 5:19 am }

I would give up both, coffee and tea. I’m not a big fan of either if it’s not served in Starbucks ;)

Alina Reply:

It’s funny, a lot of the beverages I drink have to do with the experience as well. I almost never order fancy coffees like macchiato to go - only if it’s over a leisurely chat with friends in a nice environment.