Random header image... Refresh for more!

Sushi Kan

Good morning, my beautiful people!

Yesterday was an uncharacteristically warm day in Ottawa (all you needed was a light jacket), and I took advantage of this to go play with my camera at lunchtime. I am learning to use the manual settings.

I took a picture of the Terry Fox statue for inspiration – I am going to run at lunch today for the first time in a couple of months.

And then spent most of my lunch hour trying in vain to capture a runner beside this fountain. Alas, they all sped by me while I was adjusting my aperture.

But I had to save my real energies for the eating marathon that lay ahead:

Sushi Kan

I love sushi.

And up until recently, I went only to regular sushi restaurants to get my fix. However, after an extensive analysis of my credit card statements, I have concluded that I perhaps may not want to be eating a la carte sashimi on a California Roll budget.

This is where Sushi Kan comes in: it’s All-You-Can-Eat. It includes sashimi. It’s surprisingly tasty. And it (the Innes Road location) comes recommended by many people who have eaten there before me.

AYCE rule # 1: Let Others Test Before You Enjoy

I am not much of a risk taker (there is that Soviet upbringing again). But many lesser stomachs have successfully eaten here before me, so last night, two friends and I dug in.

Just look at all those Omega-3’s !!!

Omega-3 fats help reduce the inflammation that is caused by consuming processed foods (see yesterday’s nacho post for an example of “Foods, Processed”).

And we ate baked fuji rolls. I am not exactly sure what is in them, but they are baked and warm and delicious.

My friends ordered this hilarious looking shrimp thing. I had to take a picture of it, even though I am not an enjoyer of shrimp myself.

Of course, it was not all sashimi and baked mystery rolls. I got a few pieces of sushi as well – sashimi is all well and good, but there is something to be said for rice.

AYCE Rule # 2: Do Not Shun Rice Just Because You Can

When you put a piece of sushi with rice in its soy sauce bath, the rice absorbs the salty goodness, creating an entirely new cacophony of flavours.

Which you can then enjoy while the waitress asks you if you want to order something for Last Call.

Seriously, what kind of question is that?

Have you ever tried an all-you-can-eat sushi place? Or are you one of those people who just wouldn’t?

Related posts:

1. Kiko Sushi Bar
  2. Sushi Kan, Reloaded
  3. Kiko Sushi Bar Take Two

14 comments

1 Heather (Heather's Dish) { 10.27.10 at 3:07 pm }

i love sushi too…but i don’t know if i would do an all-you-can-eat…that’s just a stomachache waiting to happen!

Alina Reply:

I am happy to report, 18 hours later, that my stomach is fine. I am an AYCE success story!

2 charlotte { 10.27.10 at 3:58 pm }

AYCE sushi is hands-down my fave kind of restaurant ever! I can eat my body weight in sashimi:) Yours looks delish! Now I want sushi darn it.

Alina Reply:

I did figure you for a sashimi kind of girl I have to say, I felt very healthful eating it and thinking of all the research on salmon fats. While working very hard not to think about mercury poisoning.

3 Ryan { 10.27.10 at 5:25 pm }

“But I had to save my real energies for the eating marathon that lay ahead” lol.

I have to say I’m particularly weary of all you can eat sushi places in cities not bordered by an ocean. Actually, if your goal in healthy eating is to loose weight, the tape worms that come with low quality raw fish might just be the ticket!

Alina Reply:

But how sure are you that normal sushi restaurants ALL follow good hygiene practices? I also need to add that I checked the city’s inspection report before I went. They had passed

4 Joslyn @ missfitbliss { 10.28.10 at 2:03 pm }

Ah sushi! I love it. And it’s true that you never know what you’re going to get in any sushi joint. I got seriously ill after eating sushi from a super upscale restaurant in Atlanta one summer.

Alina Reply:

Aw that’s too bad! I think sushi is always a bit of a risk, but one well worth taking.

5 Shamima { 10.29.10 at 2:03 am }

okay, first, you make me super happy that i live in ottawa. your pics reminded me how absolutely beautiful our home is. second, sushi is sooo good, but so expensive. i love upscale places - who doesn’t, but my wallet hates them, and more importantly, i’m often hungry just a couple of hours after my incredibly fancy but incredibly expensive meal. AYCE sushi places are thus my happy place. you eat as much as you want, for the price of a couple of rolls at the more sophisticated joints. but i follow your first rule pretty rigorously. learn from the experiences of others. i have no problem using my friends as sushi buffet guinea pigs. then i benefit from the fruit of their labours!

6 Anonymous { 11.08.10 at 1:43 pm }

1000 sushi is really good (I haven’t tried the carling one but the barrhaven one is good). Also my favourite is sakura on Merivale road. It’s located near the apple medeicl tree and that warehouse place. Across the street from wendy’s and tim hortons.

Alina Reply:

I’ve tried 1000 sushi once … it was okay. I think at every AYCE place, it depends a lot on what you order and it’s important to know what dishes are good where. Thanks for the Sakura recommendation - I haven’t tried it yet.

7 Eleven Things — Duty Free Foodie { 11.09.10 at 11:55 am }

[...] However, I love Japanese food, especially sushi! I load it up with wesabi and drown it in soy sauce. Soy sauce should really be a food group, [...]

8 mila { 11.09.10 at 5:50 pm }

I love your blog! Seriously!!! I can’t believe I am your mother! I am so proud of you! You are so good with words….and cooking!
Love you!!
Can I have the recipe for your macaroons? Please??

9 Sushi Kan, Reloaded — Duty Free Foodie { 12.14.10 at 8:37 am }