Random header image... Refresh for more!

Super Easy Mushroom Soup

Today, I have for you guys the recipe for the world’s simplest mushroom soup.

But first, I will tell you how this mushroom soup came about.

Yesterday, we had Mandatory Carb-Loading at work. There was a celebratory Pizza Lunch followed by ice cream for charity, and I was forced to participate kind of excited about it.

But I got so caught up in keeping up with the Joneses (I take strange pride in being able to eat men under the table) that by the time we got to this point …

… I couldn’t even finish my ice cream.

As I felt the white flour and sugar entering my brain, I decided to go for a walk.

IMG_2123 (640x427)

I’ll miss flowers for the next seven months of Canadian Winter!

Does anyone else have a minor obsession with fountains?

But even after my walk, I nearly fell asleep in a departmental meeting. I wanted to tell everyone, “I am not a jerkface! I am just entering a very severe sugar coma!”

Needless to say, I came home craving vegetables.*

* I know mushrooms are not technically a vegetable, but I feel like they are conceptually in the same general category. Kind of like tomatoes.

Mushrooms Do Not Get Enough Love

Our fungous little friends are really quite nutritious! According to NutritionData, 1 cup of Portobellas contain 34% of the day’s Riboflavin, 36% Niacin, 19% Pantothenic Acid, 18% Phosphorus and Potassium, 30% Copper, and 31% Selenium.  And we have this mushroom soup recipe that is so simple to make that anyone can do it, even if they only recently came out of a sugar coma.

Mushroom Soup Recipe of Delightful Simplicity and Surprising Deliciousness

First, get out your ingredients. All you need is:

• butter,
  • olive oil,
  • chicken broth,
  • large sweet onion,
  • a pile of mushrooms,
  • thyme
  • salt & pepper for seasoning

Proportions aren’t terribly important here. The key to success is to get a variety of mushrooms. With so few ingredients and no cream sauce, the mushrooms really make a difference. I used a combination of white, cremini, portabella, and oyster.

1. Chop your mushrooms. I like to chop some of them finely and some of them a little chunkier. This makes the texture of the final soup more interesting.

2. Finely chop your onion, or get your boyfriend to do it for you, even if he is on crutches and has a broken foot. After all, you can’t make the rest of the soup if you are crying for the next 20 minutes.

2. Saute your onion on Medium heat until translucent with a large chunk of butter (I used approx. 4 tbsp), a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and pinches of salt, pepper, and thyme.

3. When onions are translucent, add mushrooms. Stir in a few tablespoons of chicken broth, along with 2 tsp of thyme, and some more salt and pepper. Keep stirring as the mushrooms let out water and the liquid reduces. You can crank up the heat to help the liquid cook down faster. Keep reducing until the liquid on the bottom starts to thicken and your mushrooms look nice and soup-textured (10-15 minutes).

4. Add in the rest of your container of broth and simmer down until desired texture is reached (in our case, about 30 minutes). Optional: partially hand-blend  the soup if you want a creamier texture.

5. Enjoy three bowls of delicious mushroom soup in order to prevent any possible niacin deficiencies.

But don’t give any soup to the dog. She just ate!!

IMG_2192 (640x427)

Poor Trixie with her Bottomless Stomach.

Reader Cry For Help of the Day: How do I chop onions without spending the next 20 minutes in tears?

Related posts:

1. Seafood Chowder from Heaven
  2. Put some mussels into it
  3. Ryan’s Roast Chicken

13 comments

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday { 10.28.10 at 2:22 pm }

I’m glad I came across your blog! Can’t wait to read more

Alina Reply:

Thank you!

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat { 10.29.10 at 1:58 am }

Haha I love how you made your boyfriend cut the onions! My mum used to make me scrub and peel potatos because she told me it made her hands itchy…. as I grew older and wiser I soon learned that was nothing but a lie!!!

Alina Reply:

Oh my gosh, your mom is so clever! I think that I have to develop an “allergy” of some sort to raw meat - I really don’t enjoy handling it!

3 Shamima { 10.29.10 at 1:59 am }

How to chop onions without crying? Over the years I’ve heard various tips, tricks and/or urban legends including wearing goggles, holding a slice of bread in your mouth while you chop the onion under the bread, running the onion under water and so on. then i read that it’s the onion peel that has 90% of the chemical that makes us tear up. so i just grit my teeth and peel the skin and the layer just under the skin as quickly as possible for all the onions the recipe requires in one shot and then take my turn chopping them. maybe it’s psychological but i do feel i cry a lot less…

4 Shannon, Tropical Eats { 10.29.10 at 2:18 am }

wish i knew about the onion thing! i hateeee chopping them up bc i know ill tear up :’(

that soup looks DELISH! mushrooms are so goooood

Alina Reply:

But good job on rising to the challenge!

5 Ryguy { 10.29.10 at 3:52 am }

Actually……After the onion is cut amino acid sulfoxides form sulfenic acids and enzymes that were kept separate are free to mix with the sulfenic acids to produce propanethiol S-oxide, a volatile sulfur compound that wafts upward toward your eyes. This gas reacts with the water in your tears to form sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid burns, stimulating your eyes to release more tears to wash the irritant away.

My advise, substitution, a smaller onion such as a shallot packs the onions texture and taste of a big onion but packed into a smaller package, thus reducing the volume of propanethiol S-oxide contained in the onion and minimizing exposure.
BAM!

6 S @ extremebalance.net/blog { 10.29.10 at 4:27 am }

Is “Ryguy” really a guy? ‘Cause I was kind of turned on by his (?) comment.

I find that if I stand back so my eyes aren’t DIRECTLY over it, and if it comes out of the fridge cold, it *reduces* the burn, but sometimes, it’s just an epic sob-fest. I consider it really cheap therapy.

Alina Reply:

I love your comment! Yes, he is really a guy

7 Three Lessons from my Weekend — Duty Free Foodie { 11.30.10 at 8:19 am }

[...] mentioned before that I sometimes take pride in triumphing over large portion sizes, and that occasionally this ends [...]

8 Kath { 11.30.10 at 4:47 pm }

Too funny! (Having your boyfriend do the unloved jobs.) Funny is also this: All those fancy-named mushrooms (despite oyster) are just “Champignon” in German - white, brown, giant Champignon. I’m really new to cremini and portabella and the like.

I love mushrooms! I need to make a mushroom soup soon!

Alina Reply:

I highly recommend mushroom soup! Adding in the different types of mushrooms helps to add lovely differences in texture. Portabellas make an awesome side dish as well